How Do I Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits?
If you have become injured, you may qualify for Social Security disability benefits. Our Pasco County Social Security disability lawyer explains how to apply.
Applying for Social Security disability benefits seems fairly straightforward. However, the Social Security Administration (SSA) denies thousands of applications every year. The process is also a long and arduous one. If you have become injured or sick, it is always advised that you speak to a Pasco County Social Security disability lawyer who can guide you through the process.
Collect the Necessary Documents
When applying for disability in Florida, there are many important documents you must collect. These include:
- Your Social Security number
- The name, contact information, and address of any caseworkers, hospitals, doctors, and clinics that treated you, as well as the dates of your treatment
- Proof of age
- Reports and medical records from your caseworkers, therapists, and doctors
- The names and dosages of any medication you are currently taking
- Your employment history
- Laboratory and test results
- Your most recent W-2 form
Complete the Application
You can download the disability application, Form SSA-16, from the SSA’ website or obtain a copy from the closest SSA office to you.
Submit Your Application to the SSA
You can submit your completed application to the SSA in one of three ways. These are as follows:
- In person: You can find the closest SSA office to you and visit them in person to complete and submit your application.
- By phone: The SSA hotline is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. The phone number to apply is 1-800-772-1213.
- Online: If you already have an SSA account, you can apply online and submit the application as well as medical release forms. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for one and then complete the application.
Wait for the Decision From the SSA
The length of time it takes to hear a decision from the SSA varies widely. The time it will take to process your application depends on the circumstances surrounding your disability and the documentation you submitted. Typically, it will take between three and five months before you hear a decision from the SSA. Applications in Florida tend to take longer than the national average.
It is important to know that initially, the SSA denies more applications than they approve. Fortunately, there is the option to appeal the decision and approximately half of people are approved at this stage. It is important to work with a lawyer who can help with your application and give you the best chance of success.
Our Social Security Disability Lawyer in Pasco County Can Help with Your Application
You may have the right to disability benefits, but they are still not easy to obtain. At Rooth Law Firm, our Pasco County Social Security disability lawyer can help you complete your application so you obtain the full benefits you are entitled to. Call us now at 727-849-3400 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.