Law Firm Blog

What Happens If You’re Injured on the Job?

Your workplace should be a safe haven where you can do your job effectively without fear of injury or illness. However, accidents can happen anywhere. You can work in a safe office environment where the most dangerous thing appears to be the sharp corner on your desk, but still be seriously injured when you slip on a puddle or burn yourself on a malfunctioning coffee pot. Of course, if you work with heavy machinery or chemicals, the risk for injury or illness is much greater.

If you are injured on the job, your medical care and time lost from work should be covered by workers’ compensation insurance. In Florida, all businesses that have four or more employees are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. Some employees can be exempt from coverage, such as business owners or real estate agents who work exclusively on commission.

To get workers’ compensation benefits, it is important that you act quickly and appropriately after an accident at work. If you are injured, you need to alert your employer and seek medical attention immediately. For minor injuries, such as a cut or sprain, you may be able to get first aid care on the scene. However, if the accident is more serious, such as a fall from a great height or a head trauma from a piece of heavy machinery, you should seek emergency medical care.

To receive workers’ compensation benefits, you must be treated by a doctor designated by your employer and the workers’ compensation board. You may be able to see your own doctor if you request the change in writing and it is approved.

It doesn’t matter if you are injured on site or off. If you are working on behalf of your employer at another location — such as by making a delivery or visiting a client off site — you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.

After you seek medical treatment, you should contact a New Port Richey workers’ compensation attorney. The extent of your injuries may not be immediately apparent when you file your workers’ compensation claim, so you may not get the full compensation that you deserve. An experienced attorney will work with a team of experts on your behalf to make a case for how your work-related injuries will impact your life, both in terms of the medical care you will need and in your ability (or inability) to work.

Work-related injuries are not always apparent. Repetitive motion can cause stress injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis that can cause chronic pain. Exposure to toxic chemicals over time can lead to life-threatening diseases. For example, exposure to asbestos and benzene — common industrial chemicals — have both been linked to cancer.

Attorney Joseph Rooth, is a highly-skilled New Port Richey workers’ compensation attorney at The Rooth Law Firm. Trust attorney Rooth to build a strong case to show how your work environment led to the development of serious health conditions, helping you get the full compensation you deserve for what may end up being lifelong medical care, as well as your pain and suffering.

Attorney Joe Rooth of The Rooth Law Firm has been representing injured workers in New Port Richey for decades, and our team is committed to getting you the full compensation you deserve for your workplace injuries. We serve as a tough legal advocate for your rights while acting with compassion as we guide you through the legal process. Call us today at (727) 849-3400 to find out how our New Port Richey workers’ compensation attorney can help, or contact us online.

roothlawyerWhat Happens If You’re Injured on the Job?